(A4O, 26 June 2014) ORTO journalist are being falsely accused of providing information to diaspora news organizations like VOA, DW, Seif, Eri-TV (Oromo), Oromo Voice Radio and the newly inaugurated Oromia Media Network (OMN).
According to our sources, 17 Oromo journalists of the Oromia Radio and Television Organization (ORTO) have been forced out of their jobs as of June 25, 2014.
The journalists say they have received no prior notices and learned of their fates on Wednesday morning (June 25, 2014) when the security at the gate prevented them from entering the station’s compound located in Adama.
Members of the management informed the journalists that they could not help them as the decision to terminate their employments and the list of names came from the federal government.
This firing follows a 20-day re-indoctrination seminar given to journalists and reporters of ORTO and workers of the region’s Communication Bureau.
Main agendas for the seminar were the ongoing #OromoProtests and the upcoming election. Speakers at the seminar included Bereket Simon, Waldu Yemasel (Director of Fana Broadcasting), Abreham Nuguse Woldehana and Zelalem Jemaneh.
Names and departments/assigned roles of the 17 journalists fired from Oromia Radio and Television Organization (ORTO) are as follows:
Department of Technology and Development
1. Tilahun Megersa – reporter for the ORTO website
2. Bira Legesse – Afaan Oromo anchor
3. Bekele Atoma – Afan Oromo and English Reporter
4. Hamza Hussien – Afan Oromo & English report
5. Dereje Gonfa – Afan Oromo Reporter
6. Adis Tegegn – Amharic
7. Lisanewok Moges – Afan Oromo and Amharic news producer
8. Marga Hangasu – Sport program producer
9. Obse Kassahun – Afan Oromo anchor
10. Ayana Chimdesa – ‘Gola Oromiyaa’ program producer
11. Abdi Gada – youth program producer
12. Yusuf Warqisa – Oromo language, culture & tourism presenter
13. Abdisa Fufa – Documentary program producers
14. Ezekeil Argaw – Entertainment producer
Educational Programming Department
15. Kababo Ibsa – Producer
16. Olansa Wakumsa – educational programs producer
17. Zeleke Oljira – Producer/presenter of ‘ Hello Doctor’ program
– Source: A4O